Sunday, August 14, 2011

July 7, 2011 - My Birthday!

After an emergency open abdominal surgery resulting in removal of 10 inches of small intestine, gallbladder, and appendix, a cerclage procedure at 20 weeks, and 9 weeks of bedrest, Mama delivered me at 11:17pm on July 7, 2011. Though 11 weeks premature, I entered the world with a cry, weighing 2 pounds 9 ounces...3 ounces above average for my gestational age. I immediately impressed the NICU staff with APGAR scores of 8 & 9, and was stabilized on cpap (positive pressure oxygen). I further impressed the staff by not requiring intubation (a breathing tube inserted into his windpipe). Mama and Daddy were both very nervous, but Declan Hercules proved that I am a fighter!

My First Photo - 2 pounds, 9 ounces; Cpap in place to help me breathe...because, after all, I can't do everything right all at once!


No comments:

Post a Comment