Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Declan Hercules: My Epic California Road Trip



After an amazing Christmas, Mama and Dada worked for a week, and then we were off on our California Road Trip!  It turns out that California is HUGE!  I kept asking if we were in a new state every 30 minutes or so, but we were ALWAYS still in California.  We first drove straight to Granddad and Boppy's house in Pasadena. We overlapped for one night with Uncle Hans, Auntie Kristi and Cousin Sophie.  I wish they had been able to stay longer, but it was super nice to play with my cousin and her doggie Duncan.  I had some time to play at their house, but we also stayed very busy exploring LA.  The first day, we spent the whole day at the Huntington library where Boppy works as a docent.  It was my first time there, and I really had a great time.  They have a whole bunch of very ancient science books, and my favorite was a whole room of every kind of light bulb you can ever imagine! They have so many gardens too, including a rose garden which smells so yummy; a Japanese and a Chinese garden, and even a Children's garden.  

Me with my cousin Sophie
Granddad, me, Dada and Boppy at the Huntington
Boppy showing me the secrets of the "Blue Boy" painting

The boys in the Rose Garden
Boppy with Nyx in the Rose Garden
Our family at the Japanese garden

Keevah Nyx at the Children's Garden
Dada and me at the very cool Satellite exhibit
Really really really old books


One of my favorite Christmas gifts: Robot Turtles game (apparently I'm learning to code, but I don't know it yet)...Hilarious that Granddad couldn't figure it out!
On day 2, we went to the California Science Center and I got to see the Space Shuttle Endeavor!   I was super excited about this and was mesmerized by the videos that showed it blasting off into space and the astronauts floating inside it without gravity.




Building towers with Dada and Granddad
a lunar rover
At the aquarium part of the museum

Granddad and Boppy took us out to a super fancy dinner for New Year's Eve at The Crossing, and Sissy and I got all dressed up. We behaved ourselves perfectly and let the grownups have a yummy dinner.  Then we got to watch the Crystal ball drop on TV in Times square at midnight (EST!) 

The whole gang at dinner
Watching the crystal ball drop
Dada reading the original Robert Burns poem Auld Lang Syne

Day 3 we did some awesome hiking in the Arroyo - here's a crazy palm tree growing sideways
And finally the night of Jan 1st, after I was asleep for a few hours...Mama and Dada woke me up to join Granddad on a special walk up to see the floats for the Rose Parade.  They line up at midnight the night before the parade and you can walk right up to them and talk to the people who made them. It was so cool to see all those flowers, seeds and bark in person, and then to watch them on TV the next morning!



Here I get to see them on TV too!
After several wonderful days in Pasadena, it was time to drive to Death Valley.  Sissy and I were super good in the car the entire way.  First stop was the Mequite Sand Dunes!  Super cool, and they remained a highlight of the trip for all of us.  I couldn't believe how much sand there was!  I had a blast scooting and log-rolling down the steep slopes, and even Mama and Nyx got in on the action too. Nyx tried to eat sand which is so crazy, but so predictable.

Whole family at the top of a dune
Like Dada, like 
King Declan, on top of the world!
Mama and Keevah Nyx
Before Sissy ate sand
Best buddies




We stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch, and then had a great adventure at BadWater, Natural Bridge, Golden Canyon, Devil's Golf Course and Artists Drive.  Many of these involved hiking, and I did awesome!  

At Natural Bridge - a pretty cool slot canyon hike
Mama and Nyx in Golden Canyon
Hercules conquers!
Nyx is so happy she was finally let out of the backpack!
Me climbing a cliff in Golden Canyon
Dada and me at Badwater
Mama and Nyx at Badwater - lowest point in North America (and you can see Mount Whitney on a good day!)

Me pointing to the tiny sign way up on the cliff that says "Sea Level"
With Dada at Devil's Golf Course
Super cool salt crystal structures
I spent a long time finding the perfect crystal structures - they are all so unique

After some very special days in Death Valley, we drove to Tahoe.  It was an epic 8.5 hour drive with over 20,000 feet of elevation change and about 200 miles through snow!  It was pretty crazy to go from a dry desert to 12 feet of snow in Tahoe - but I loved it!   I got to play with my friends Clare and Vera in Tahoe, and enjoyed some ski time with Dada.  I also got to help Keevah Nyx build her first snowman!

On the drive on the 395 - somewhere near Mammoth
Turns out that Keevah loves snow too! She's getting some good use out of my old snow outfit.
Sibling bond
Trying to get the eyes to stay on the snowman
Finished product
Sledding with Clare -who is wearing another of my old ski outfits!
So, wouldn't you agree that was a pretty awesome trip!  I'm all ready to do it again next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment